Dreams in a Witch House
These ideas for characters fit well with Call of Cthulhu in general, and my game in particular:
- Private Eye: having solid skills in detective work is nice for digging up Mythos secrets.
- The psychiatric doctor: knowledgeable in both the human body and mind, serves to both physical wounds and psychological trauma.
- In-bred hick: not a traditional mythos character, but someone with a bit of the “Innsmouth look” can be good to have on your side. Good at swimming, talking with country side cultists, and throwing punches.
- The gifted child: A child with psychic powers, often shows up in Steven King Novels.
- The unbeliever: Someone who always has a rational explanation for the impossible, tends to keep their sanity even under extreme circumstances.
- The student of the occult: Someone who with a sound grounding in metaphysics and the occult can be useful for penetrating the deeper mysteries of the Mythos. They also tend to be good with the languages needed to translate ancient texts.
- The great white hunter: A big game hunter might be persuaded to peruse the ultimate big game: the hideous creatures of the mythos.
- Student of mathematics and physics: The scientist hero can fall back on the tools of humankind when the world seems to have gone mad.
- Benevolent Mad Man: The insane can have unique insights vital for solving occult mysteries.
- Sensitive Artist: Someone with knowledge of art history can be a good resource. The Mythos also tends to call most to those with an artistic side.
- Wealthy but stupid socialite. I think Bertram Wooster makes a great protagonist when fighting the horrors of the mythos. Good if you want to play a more social character connected with Arkham’s high society.
- Gentleman’s Gentleman: goes well with the wealthy/stupid socialite. Someone with Jeeve’s brains and psychological no how, and practicality can be useful.
- Dreamer: The world of dreams runs parallel to our own in the Mythos setting. Someone who is skilled in lucid dreaming can have an unusually strong connection to this alternate dimension.
- Nun: Nuns are all about kicking the butts of evil monstrosities from other dimensions.